Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tupare

Yesterday we visited Tupare Gardens in New Plymouth for a market day…

DSC_0148 (600 x 400)

This is the view from the top of the driveway looking down. It was the first time I had ever been there and I have lived in Taranaki my whole life! First off we visited the merchants, I bought this book…

DSC_0160 (400 x 600)

It’s going to be a great addition to our homeschooling library especially when we go on walks! We’ll be able to identify so many plants and insects, ooh I think I can feel a tramp coming on! And look Janet wrote a small inscription inside just for us…

DSC_0162 (400 x 600)

We also bought a bottle of Sid’s Raspberry Vinegar…

DSC_0165 (400 x 600)

It is made locally by a man called Sid(who would’ve guessed) and let me tell you it is delicious! I made a smorgasbord salad for tea last night and marinated the mushrooms in the vinegar, I don’t know if I can go back to eating mushrooms any other way!

I also bought a couple of packets of seeds…

DSC_0167 (600 x 400)

From a guy who’s wife was sick of all the seeds being stored in her fridge! Lol

Can anyone help though as to what a Purple Bean Tree is??? Is it a bean or a tree??? I forgot to ask him, Duh! But it sounded exotic so I thought I would try it;o)

DSC_0125 (400 x 600)

Tupare is a wonderful place to practice taking photo’s.

DSC_0116 (400 x 600)

It was almost like being transported back in time and I could just imagine myself as the lady of the house taking a leisurely stroll through the gardens! 

If you would like to read some of the history of how Tupare was built click here.

This week on the quilting scene I have been working on a UFO and it’s almost done. I just have to quilt the border and add the binding, I am determined it will not be relegated to the UFO pile again!

And it’s high time I updated my Goals List, I have finished 2 skirts:o) and a pair of pillowcases so now I can add 2 more things to the list…

Goal 1     Finish painting the little wooden cabinet.

Goal 2     ‘Give Thanks’ wall hanging.

Goal 3     Log Cabin quilt top

Goal 4     4 patch quilt

Goal 5      Yoyo table runner

Hope you’re having a great week!

Michelle

4 comments:

Fee said...

It looks like you have had a lovely day out Michelle. Looking forward to seeing your UFO quilt.

Hugs - Fee XX

Nicky said...

Hi Michelle - sounds like a lovley day out. Can't wait to see what grows from those seeds! Good luck with the 'to do' list.

Bev C said...

Hello Michelle,
I found this link about the seeds which may help you.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/714185/

I love those flavoured vinegars I could just about drink it.
Thanks for sharing your day out.
Bev.xoxo

trish said...

Hi Michelle.
What a fun day of exploring. And such a great book to add to your library. I enjoy finding books to add to our homeschool library too. :o) I just found out that we have an insect museum about an hour from here and will do a little research about it. It would be fun to see. :o)
Your raspberry vinegar sounds amazing!
Your list inspires me so much. :o)